Wednesday, February 15, 2012

So Long, Farewell...


Cheese...
On Friday, it will be two months since my PITA Puppy Wyatt died. Now I say PITA with only love and affection. Wyatt had an annoying habit of barking or to put a positive spin on it, he liked to sing. It wasn’t all his fault that his human taught him to bark, I mean sing to go out and potty. I learned my lesson; never teach a dog to bark for anything. Aside from the singing, Wyatt was a great dog. Actually great doesn’t even begin to describe what a spectacular dog he was. He made me laugh endlessly during our games of fetch, the way he posed for photos and the way he soothed himself with his giant green or yellow plush bone. I also shed a few tears during his teenager phase but mostly he taught me patience and to stay with a task even if it is difficult. You need patience for a seven-month-old puppy pushing every boundary and rule you once thought was solid. And just when I was about to give up he’d make the connection to whatever new task we were learning. 

I see you, now come play with me.
He brought joy to my life with his never-ending puppy exuberance. While most dogs are settling down at two, Wyatt and I were gearing up for days filled with long walks, endless games of fetch and learning new tricks.  One of the best moments with him was when he made the connection of bringing the ball back for fetch. Again I was just about to give up, well I did I was walking away when he bounded up to my side and dropped the ball. He sat and didn’t move an inch until I released him to chase the ball I threw. I called him back, he came, I said, “Drop it.” He did and I threw it and so our endless days of fetch began. With that red Kong ball, I taught him not to leave my front yard even if said ball rolled in the street. I was so excited that day we learned trust and to play fetch that I called my sisters and my husband. It was just like the day my kids took their first steps and I’m sure they thought I was crazy to gush over my dog, but how could I not he was a part of my family. That was the true beginning of our beautiful relationship.

During his short seven years, he never ceased to be a PITA at home with his singing, but when we went out in public, he NEVER disappointed. He was the perfect canine good citizen. The dog-nicknamed “Quiet Wyatt” in training class (because he barked in class) was a gentleman dog in public. He was a wonderful ambassador for dogs and positive training techniques.

You finished yet?
 Wyatt rolled with whatever came our way. Whether the change came in the form of a job or when the kids left for school or the biggest change when I opened a home daycare. For three years, he happily played with the kids, stole their shoes and licked them head to toe. I couldn’t have asked for better.
Friday, February 17 it will be two months since Wyatt left my side. I still cry/tear up when I talk or even write about him. There will never be another Wyatt. He wasn’t my first dog, but he was the first puppy I raised and for all the mistakes I made he always made me look better than I was.

So, to my funny, furry doodle friend I say, Farewell- You will always sing in my heart.

Please support Canine Cancer Research!

1 comment:

  1. So very sorry for your loss. From the first time I "meet" you, I heard about Wyatt and know what a special creature he was. You didn't have him nearly long enough.

    ReplyDelete