Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Changes


Change happens every day and you get used to no day being the same when you own dogs. And when you leave blogging behind for the time I have you can be sure that change is inevitable. 

2007 we lost our Luna Toons. She was only a part of our family for a year and she was so young that it made it harder. She was adopted to us ill. We weren’t told. Had we known we might have been able to fight the cancer. Luna died April 12, 2007.

Summer 2008 taught me a lesson in pack aggression no dog owner wants to learn. My beautiful Dexter got up from his dog bed and walked across the room toward a sleeping Wyatt and attacked him, swung him like a rag doll and left Wyatt with wounds on his back. Wyatt bit Dexter’s paw to get free and we were able to get each of them proper medical attention. Both dogs recovered from their wounds but two trainers and close to a year later, we were unsuccessful with reuniting the dogs. I made the decision to rehome Dexter. It was the second hardest decision I have ever had to make regarding my dogs, the first being helping them over the rainbow bridge. I cried for days after Dexter left for his new home. I still miss Dexter to this day but know in my heart that I made the right decision for all the dogs involved. 

Wyatt and Josie remained in my home. Josie became the resident couch potato and Wyatt became my long distance walking buddy. Both Wyatt and Jo excelled in training earning their Canine Good Citizenship and Josie was not easy. Wyatt loved training. He was known in the neighborhood for his tricks and excellent behavior. Summer 2009 both Wyatt and Jo transitioned flawlessly into my daycare quickly becoming everyone’s favorite. They loved all the attention and Wyatt loved the never-ending ball tossing from the kids.
That brings me to the present. I am writing this sitting on my couch with Josie curled next to me. Our boy Wyatt died December 17, 2011 at the age of seven from one of the most common and deadliest diseases for dogs, cancer.

Josie still searches for him and howls sadly when a neighbors black poodle walks by. As each day passes, she searches less but I can tell she misses his company. The up side if there is one when you lose your heart dog is that I am discovering what an amazing girl Josie is on her own. She is my bright spot and hopefully I am hers as we get through our grief.

Even with all the hard times there were many more great times and in the coming weeks I will share them. I'm slowly researching breeds because even though I miss Wyatt something awful, I want to go on that adventure of teaching and learning daily with my dog.

Until next time, WOOF!

No comments:

Post a Comment